Psoriasis is a non-infectious common skin condition characterized by well-defined erythematous (reddish) plaques with large adherent silvery scales. Here increases the proliferation of the skin layers due to excessive division of the cells in the basal layer of the skin. This is the main abnormality of Psoriasis. Psoriasis mainly affects the skin of the knees, elbows, scalp and palm of hand.
According to Ayurveda, Psoriasis can be considered as the vitiation of Vata and Kapha dosa. Vata and Kapha doshas manifest in the skin and cause accumulation of toxins. These toxins accumulate in deep tissues like rasa (nutrient plasma), rakta (blood), mansa (muscles), and lasika (lymphatic). These toxins cause contamination of deeper tissues, leading to Psoriasis.
- Loose silvery scales.
- Severe Itching or burning sensation in skin.
- Weakness and joint pain.
- Dry skin patches.
- Bleeding skin patches.
- Pain and inflammation in skin.
- Raised pus-filled skin bumps.
- Skin redness around pustules.
- Restricted joint motion.
- Emotional distress such as anger, stress etc.
- Skin blisters.
- Avoid sour foods, citrus fruits (lemon, orange), apple, mango, grapes, tomato, pineapple, pickles, curd, buttermilk cold drinks, ice creams, fast food (like pizzas), sauces and Ketchup.
- Avoid all fermented food and all bakery food items.
- Avoid whey and fine flour, yogurt, black gram, seafood.
- Avoid fruit jams, preserved juices or preserved foods.
- Avoid sweets, chocolates and paneer.
- Avoid tobacco or alcoholic substances.
- Avoid common table salt (rock salt in small quantities is okay).
- All non-vegetarian food should be avoided.
- Avoid red chillies, green chillies, chilli powder, garlic, onion, etc.
- Avoid fried food items.
- Avoid milk shakes, no fruit salad.
- Avoid milk after eating fruits for half an hour.
- Excessive Physical and Mental Stress.
Management in Ayurveda:
- Regular exercise is also very important. Yogic asanas and pranayam can help to keep the mind and body fit and healthy.
- Applying fresh banana leaf to the affected areas of skin is very beneficial.
- Take 1 cup of bitter gourd juice on empty stomach in the morning and continue this for 5-6 months. Patient may add a tablespoon of lime water, if they found it difficult to digest the bitter taste.
- Take 15-20 sesame seeds and soak in a glass of water. Keep it overnight and drink on an empty stomach early in the morning.
- Panchakarma, especially vamana and virechana are the main treatment of Psoriasis and Shirodhara is beneficial for scalp psoriasis.
- Ayurvedic formulations such as Panchatikta ghreeta guggulu, Maha Manjistharista, Triphala churna, Neem capsule, Giloy sat, Navkarshik churna,Praval pisti, Haridra khand, Gandhak rasayana, Tankan bhasma etc. are beneficial for psoriasis.
- Don’t let the affected area dry.